Saturday, August 15, 2009

Drawings. -The influence of cinema

I have also been influenced by the sequential narrative nature of the cinema. I enjoy looking in film journals (Cantrills Filmnotes), and books about filmmaking. The stills often tell their own story rather than glamorous publicity photographs. In a way the actors become trapped in their character in a film still. I like this idea as a way of viewing my drawings. When I was a child, I thought that all the different people on television were actually tiny people living inside the television set. Of course I was surprised when my Dad had to take the back off the TV and the tiny people did not come running out. As a visual artist I have the ability to create a world or worlds where I can pick out a particular character and enlarge him or her to make them the focus or push them far into the background, so no one can see them. Filmmakers employ these visual treatments as well. I have developed some symbols within my work that has developed into a visual language in which I can communicate my visual ideas.
I use two characters, they are my actors, and they are male and female and can represent the different roles I wish to portray from my personal experience. I include props, which can represent a setting, combining lighting in the form of shadows to help define atmosphere.
The influence of cinema is evident in the way my series of drawings can be viewed; more detail is discussed in the chapter specifically about my drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment