Saturday, August 15, 2009

Black and white Ink Drawings

The series of drawings I have made are depictions of a man and woman. I have used the idea of creating a kind of storyboard with these pictures on each sheet of paper. During my research I have come across books relating to cinema, cinema studies as well as books about record cover art. The subjects of these books lead to a natural format of a lot of small squares or rectangles in sequential order describing a scene from a movie or a series of cover art from a particular artist or record company.
The actual appearance of these pages with their patterned display of images, I found very visually appealing. And as a result I have added that to my aesthetic taste.

I have been making black and white drawings with a pen and ink. These pictures are a little like a storyboard for the theatre, or perhaps like a few frames from a piece of film. The drawings are in groups of eight and the images in these drawings come from my imagination. The characters are both men and women, dressed in stripy t-shirts, leotards or dress. The men and women in these pictures seem to be either back stage waiting to go on, or in a rehearsal or in their own private world looking at themselves in a mirror. They exist in a non-space with rarely any identifying landscape, sometimes a road or something in the sky. I enjoy making these drawings because; repeating the same character helps develop the personality of the subject. By bringing the subject up close or pushing it far into the background the dynamics of the picture change. For me this creates the opportunity to explore the potential of each drawing. I am working the compositions inside a square of seven centimetres; this size suits me well, as I like to create intimate little drawings about fragile, introspective, emotional characters. I don’t believe in trying to reproduce aspects of reality, or the every-day. I like my work to be an escape from the every-day. From time to time I would like to get inside and walk around my pictures just to get away from the every-day.
I believe as a human being, I see the world (obviously) in my own way. As my work deals with the human condition, my point of view of that “condition” would be uniquely mine, (I would imagine). So, as an insight into what that would be, let me explain here. Firstly, I think, (as Shakespeare wrote), the world is a stage and we are all actors upon it. My interactions with friends, family and people I meet and work with all have some kind of impact on me as I imagine I do on them. Stories are told to each other, happy and unhappy. History repeats itself and fables get built. I have a huge problem with fakeness in character; of course there is nothing I can do about it, except make honest artwork. What I mean by honest is, not trying to trick the viewer into believing that they are looking at a masterpiece when they clearly are not. My pieces are meanderings in my imagination aided by a significant amount of looking and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment